Have you ever wondered what the secret is to making a room look as professional as a showroom or as considered as an in-store display? The secret is in the finishing touches – those small details that make a room.
Once the major decisions are made such as wall colours, flooring and couches, the smaller touches can be used to add a splash of colour, support a certain style or add interest and make the room feel lived in.
So what are these finishing touches and how can you use them to your advantage?
- If you have existing items that you don’t want to part with but would like to revamp with paint, many items such as wooden furniture, picture frames and ceramic pots can be painted with Metallic Paints or Acrylic Eggshell.
- Cushions are a cost effective way to add pattern, colour or contrast to a room
- Be bold – clashing patterns and bright colours can look fantastic as textiles – as they are on a smaller scale than wall space, a brighter colour or strong pattern will look balanced.
- Add texture with furry rugs or colour with geometric patterns
- Use throws to add comfort on those cold winter nights!
Lighting makes a room – from feature lampshades to soft candle light – make your lighting stand out.
- Lampshades can be used to make a statement – from sculptural pieces to barely there glass shades – you won’t regret spending that extra bit of time choosing your shades
- Think about mood lighting – when the room is dark a few strategically placed lamps will disperse the light
- Candles are a great way to bring some atmosphere to a room – and with everything from stags head candles to chunky coloured pillar candles they can be ornamental when not lit!
- You can arrange as a group to create a feature wall – 3 wide by 3 high in a geometrical shape, or different sized frames in a more haphazard way
- Choose art that contains colours from your colour scheme
- Art can reflect the style of the room – modern or classic?
- Picture frames often come in a limited range of colours – black, white or wood. Paint them any colour you like with Acrylic Eggshell – they could be all one colour, or every one could be a different shade!
- Sculptural vases look great with or without flowers
- Choose flowers to suit the style you have created – roses for soft romance, sunflowers for a splash of colour or orchids for sophistication.
- Strategically placed ornaments add interest but don’t go overboard - group in threes
- Revamp old items such as plant pots, storage boxes and magazine files with paint.
- Mirrors can open up a small space and make it look bigger – try traditional placement over a fireplace or a group of vintage mirrors as a feature on a wall.
- Nowadays most of what we read is stored digitally, but a few select magazines or coffee table books can say a lot about a person and their interests.
As you can see there are many ways to add finishing touches to a room. The choices you make will make your space all the more individual!