Create the look of delicate broken colour with this subtle marble-like effect.
Elegant and timeless, Chalk Wash can be applied by sponge, rag or brush for a bespoke end result.
Apply over Craig & Rose 1829 Chalky Emulsion – choose an opposite colour for a bold effect or pair with a similar shade for a more understated look.
Flax Yellow is dark, noble cadmium yellow, which can add a sun-soaked mustard warmth to any space.
1. As with all of our Artisan paint effects, we suggest that you practise the application process on a separate board/s where possible to allow you to discover what is your prefered result.
2. Chalk Wash needs to be applied over a Craig & Rose 1829 Chalky Emulsion which has been painted at least 7 days prior.
3. All surfaces must be thoroughly free of all dirt, dust, grease, loose or flaking paint.
Rags: clean, dry cotton rags – muslin rags are best
Sponge: sea sponge or synthetic household sponge, or sponge trowel
Brush: High-quality synthetic brush
1. Starting at the top left-hand corner of the wall apply Chalk Wash using a wide brush (50-75mm) in a random pattern.
2. It is important that good coverage is achieved and there are no areas where the product is not completely applied. Following closely after, create the desired pattern by ragging muslin cloth over the freshly painted Chalk Wash surface, turning the cloth in your hand to avoid a “stamped” pattern and to use dry areas of the cloth.
3. The method we recommend is not to hold the muslin on the surface and roll, but to use a large amount (at least 5m) of scrunched muslin and “pounce” or press this quickly and repeatedly to the wall, absorbing the Chalk Wash and leaving a broken, subtle pattern of colour.
4. Do not go back over completed work. Do not stop in the middle of a wall.
ADDITIONAL APPLICATION TIPS:
For a softer, more subtly aged look - just when the Chalk Wash is nearly dry, use a dry flogger brush to lightly brush in all directions, breaking up darker areas and creating a very subtle colour variation.
1. Recoat 2-4 hrs, depending on conditions
2. Full paint hardness: 7 days.
3. The temperature of the room must be above 10°C during application and drying. Under cooler or more humid conditions allow longer time for drying.